Director of Public & Media Relations (DPMR)
The Director of Public & Media Relations will report directly to the Vice President of Communications (VPC) as the divisional supervisor. He/She will be evaluated and assessed on their experience, expertise, knowledge of public and media relations, and the ability to delegate staff and volunteer personnel accordingly.
The DPMR will in effect, provide the necessary media coverage to give the organization positive notoriety in the programs established to assists veterans. Given this coverage, will identify veterans who have served this country that find themselves statistically in double-digit unemployment, to include other areas of concern.
Responsible for creating and executing a global media relations program for the Veterans Development Initiatives, Inc. with the goal of publicizing the VDI as a premiere Veteran Service Organization, domestic trade and lifestyle media.
Serve as an official spokesperson for the Veterans Development Initiatives, Inc..
Provide communications counsel to senior management, helping to enhance the company's success by applying proactive and reactive communications strategy, including crisis communications.
Plan overall media relations plan for the VDI’s strategic oversight of global PR agencies and VDI’s communications staff who execute press outreach, media events, media calls, collateral, crisis communications support and press material development.
Create PR programs that positively position the VDI and align closely with marketing campaigns, using communications tools and practices, to reinforce the VDI’s message.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Estimated % of Time Activity:
- 50% oversee all domestic and international media relations and outreach functions to include: developing, planning and strategic oversight of domestic and international public relations firms in all VDI’s efforts.
- Respond and serve as a primary spokesperson for media inquiries.
- Work closely with the VDI’s Chief Marketing Officer (CMO), Marketing and Operations teams to provide strategic counsel and input.
- Develop and maintain departmental budget.
- Manage strategic planning for media relations efforts. Lead crisis communications for statewide efforts, as needed.
- Approve media releases and Web content produced by staff, agencies and contractors.
- 10% lead and execute VDI’s digital asset program, including development of technology and catalog systems of all digital assets of the VDI.
- Serve as lead with outside contractors and internal IT staff.
- 10% Draft correspondence and media messages to meet outreach needs at the request of VDI's Chairman & CEO, President, EVP, Vice Presidents and senior staff members.
- 20% Supervise media relations staff (5 to 10 full time employees).
- 10% other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Legal Affairs/General Counsel (VP/LA)
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each key duty satisfactorily:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations or related field.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, specifically including expertise in AP style.
- At least 7-10 years of PR experience with a proven track record in a fast-paced environment. Travel industry experience a strong plus.
- Previous experience supervising employees.
- Ability to manage a network of global PR agencies; international media experience a plus.
- Strategic thinker who excels at coming up with original ideas and is able to execute.
- Ability to proactively identify communications opportunities and develop supporting programs.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing, both internally and externally.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to integrate PR programs to support marketing goals and programs; able to perform within an integrated team environment.
- Able to excel in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities and able to take a positive team approach to working with industry and government partners.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including Word and Excel, Internet Explorer, Powerpoint and other graphics and/or presentation software.
- In addition to salary, VDI offers medical, dental, vision, disability, sick and vacation leave, and a 401k and a 403b plan.
He/She must be able to multi-task, collaborate with the Chief Marketing Officer (CMO), have clear, concise, written and oral communication when speaking on behalf of veterans and this corporation. He/She must have 7-10 years of experience, training, education, knowledge of various media outlets, public affairs and having rapports with major networks for which he or she will be contacting.
The expectation of the DPMR shall possess a stellar background and most of all must be a veteran. He/She will be provided guidance from the VP/LA for any programs of relative interest to the corporation and any other duties requested of superiors.
Minimum BA/BS required, MBA/MPA desired with 7-10 years with proven track record of senior management experience in public relations, media, public affairs, marketing and knowledge of corporate communications a plus. The ability to lead a medium size staff desired.
Please e-mail your resume to Dr. Works with the word "Resume" on the subject line and the position you are applying for. All positions are for current and former military veterans only.