The Paralegal will report directly to the Director of Legal Services and will be assessed for clear, concise written and oral communication that consistent with the policies. Procedures and mission essential guidelines of the corporation. All paralegals will work for the office of legal affairs under the overall leadership of the VP/LA for the organization.
Paralegal must have diverse experience with the Uniformed Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) for the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and Coast Guard, corporate policies and procedures, federal regulatory guidelines, statutes of limitation in various areas of concentrations, torts, wills, estate planning, powers of attorney, criminal proceedings, discharge upgrades, nonprofit management, real estate development, various city and state ordinance laws, intellectual properties, banking & finance, housing property laws, compliance laws, IRS filings, etc.
He/she will must be able to work collectively as a team and independent of supervision in completing specific tasks, ability to meet deadlines, collaborate with various departments and divisions for the greater good of the organization.
Provide honest, upfront information based on performed research compiled and completed in it's entirety. Establish working rapports with executive, senior and intermediate management with various entities of the corporation and all other requested experience and knowledge, but not limited to:
- Prepare legal documents, including briefs, pleadings, appeals, wills, contracts, and real estate closing statements.
- Prepare affidavits or other documents, maintain document file, and file pleadings with court clerk.
- Gather and analyze research data, such as statutes, decisions, and legal articles, codes, and documents.
- Investigate facts and law of cases to determine causes of action and to prepare cases.
- Call upon witnesses to testify at hearing(s).
- Direct and coordinate law office activity, including delivery of subpoenas.
- Arbitrate disputes between parties and assist in real estate closing process.
- Keep and monitor legal volumes to ensure that law library is up-to-date.
- Appraise and inventory real and personal property for estate planning.
- Summarizing legal documents.
- Performing records research.
- Performing legal research.
- Coordinating research.
- Checking legal forms for accuracy.
- Preparing reports.
- Preparing correspondence.
- Drafting all sorts of legal documents.
- Preparing declarations.
- Preparing form complaints.
THE SKILLS COMMONLY REQUIRED OF A PARALEGAL INCLUDE:
- The ability to perform legal research.
- The ability to interview witnesses and document what is learned.
- Good writing and communication skills.
- The ability to prioritize and work under a tight schedule.
- Basic computer skills.
- In depth knowledge of legal terminology and principles.
- The ability to analyze legal documents for accuracy.
Must have an accredited degree (BA/BS) at a minimum. Advanced degree desired. Knowledge of legal statutes, principles, with the ability to multi-task independently or with a team. Prior work experience in a for-profit or not-profit capacity. Ability to adapt to changes as they arise, able to work with executive and senior management. Ability to give educated opinion on various researched topics, be of high moral character, presentation skills, and great communication. Bilingual (Spanish, French, etc.) background strongly encouraged.
Please e-mail your resume to Dr. Works with the word "Resume" on the subject line and the position you are applying for. All positions are for current and former military veterans only.